Historical Records From Adam to AbrahamTo Noah’s Sons
1Adam, Seth, Enosh,2Kenan, Mahalalel, Jared,3Enoch, Methuselah, Lamech, Noah.4The sons of Noah:
1. Septuagint; Hebrew does not have this line.
 Shem, Ham and Japheth.
1. Sons may mean descendants or successors or nations; also in verses 6-9, 17 and 23.
 of Japheth: Gomer, Magog, Madai, Javan, Tubal, Meshek and Tiras.6The sons of Gomer: Ashkenaz, Riphath
1. Many Hebrew manuscripts and Vulgate (see also Septuagint and Gen. 10:3); most Hebrew manuscripts Diphath
 and Togarmah.7The sons of Javan: Elishah, Tarshish, the Kittites and the Rodanites.
8The sons of Ham: Cush, Egypt, Put and Canaan.9The sons of Cush: Seba, Havilah, Sabta, Raamah and Sabteka. The sons of Raamah: Sheba and Dedan.10Cush was the father
1. Father may mean ancestor or predecessor or founder; also in verses 11, 13, 18 and 20.
 of Nimrod, who became a mighty warrior on earth.11Egypt was the father of the Ludites, Anamites, Lehabites, Naphtuhites,12Pathrusites, Kasluhites (from whom the Philistines came) and Caphtorites.13Canaan was the father of Sidon his firstborn,
1. Or of the Sidonians, the foremost
 and of the Hittites,14Jebusites, Amorites, Girgashites,15Hivites, Arkites, Sinites,16Arvadites, Zemarites and Hamathites.
17The sons of Shem: Elam, Ashur, Arphaxad, Lud and Aram. The sons of Aram:
1. One Hebrew manuscript and some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 10:23); most Hebrew manuscripts do not have this line.
 Uz, Hul, Gether and Meshek.18Arphaxad was the father of Shelah, and Shelah the father of Eber.19Two sons were born to Eber: One was named Peleg,
1. Peleg means division.
 because in his time the earth was divided; his brother was named Joktan.20Joktan was the father of Almodad, Sheleph, Hazarmaveth, Jerah,21Hadoram, Uzal, Diklah,22Obal,
1. Some Hebrew manuscripts and Syriac (see also Gen. 10:28); most Hebrew manuscripts Ebal
 Abimael, Sheba,23Ophir, Havilah and Jobab. All these were sons of Joktan.24Shem, Arphaxad,
1. Hebrew; some Septuagint manuscripts Arphaxad, Cainan (see also note at Gen. 11:10)
 Shelah,25Eber, Peleg, Reu,26Serug, Nahor, Terah27and Abram (that is, Abraham).
The Family of Abraham
28The sons of Abraham: Isaac and Ishmael.
Descendants of Hagar
29These were their descendants: Nebaioth the firstborn of Ishmael, Kedar, Adbeel, Mibsam,30Mishma, Dumah, Massa, Hadad, Tema,31Jetur, Naphish and Kedemah. These were the sons of Ishmael.
Descendants of Keturah
32The sons born to Keturah, Abraham’s concubine: Zimran, Jokshan, Medan, Midian, Ishbak and Shuah. The sons of Jokshan: Sheba and Dedan.33The sons of Midian: Ephah, Epher, Hanok, Abida and Eldaah. All these were descendants of Keturah.
Descendants of Sarah
34Abraham was the father of Isaac. The sons of Isaac: Esau and Israel.
35The sons of Esau: Eliphaz, Reuel, Jeush, Jalam and Korah.36The sons of Eliphaz: Teman, Omar, Zepho,
1. Many Hebrew manuscripts, some Septuagint manuscripts and Syriac (see also Gen. 36:11); most Hebrew manuscripts Zephi
 Gatam and Kenaz; by Timna: Amalek.
2. Some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:12); Hebrew Gatam, Kenaz, Timna and Amalek
37The sons of Reuel: Nahath, Zerah, Shammah and Mizzah.
The People of Seir in Edom
38The sons of Seir: Lotan, Shobal, Zibeon, Anah, Dishon, Ezer and Dishan.39The sons of Lotan: Hori and Homam. Timna was Lotan’s sister.40The sons of Shobal: Alvan,
1. Many Hebrew manuscripts and some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:23); most Hebrew manuscripts Alian
 Manahath, Ebal, Shepho and Onam. The sons of Zibeon: Aiah and Anah.41The son of Anah: Dishon. The sons of Dishon: Hemdan,
1. Many Hebrew manuscripts and some Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:26); most Hebrew manuscripts Hamran
 Eshban, Ithran and Keran.42The sons of Ezer: Bilhan, Zaavan and Akan.
1. Many Hebrew and Septuagint manuscripts (see also Gen. 36:27); most Hebrew manuscripts Zaavan, Jaakan
 The sons of Dishan
2. See Gen. 36:28; Hebrew Dishon, a variant of Dishan
: Uz and Aran.
The Rulers of Edom
43These were the kings who reigned in Edom before any Israelite king reigned: Bela son of Beor, whose city was named Dinhabah.44When Bela died, Jobab son of Zerah from Bozrah succeeded him as king.45When Jobab died, Husham from the land of the Temanites succeeded him as king.46When Husham died, Hadad son of Bedad, who defeated Midian in the country of Moab, succeeded him as king. His city was named Avith.47When Hadad died, Samlah from Masrekah succeeded him as king.48When Samlah died, Shaul from Rehoboth on the river
1. Possibly the Euphrates
 succeeded him as king.49When Shaul died, Baal-Hanan son of Akbor succeeded him as king.50When Baal-Hanan died, Hadad succeeded him as king. His city was named Pau,
1. Many Hebrew manuscripts, some Septuagint manuscripts, Vulgate and Syriac (see also Gen. 36:39); most Hebrew manuscripts Pai
 and his wife’s name was Mehetabel daughter of Matred, the daughter of Me-Zahab.51Hadad also died. The chiefs of Edom were: Timna, Alvah, Jetheth,52Oholibamah, Elah, Pinon,53Kenaz, Teman, Mibzar,54Magdiel and Iram. These were the chiefs of Edom.